Meissen Lioness modelled by J.J.Kaendler
[imageeffect image=”483″ width=”30″ height=”30″ align=”alignright”]
A Meissen Model of a Lioness, standing and looking up to one side, the tail curled slightly round one of the back legs, naturalistically painted in tones of brown and black.
Private English Collection
3 ¼ ins. (8cms.)
Crossed swords mark in blue to the underside of the front nearside paw. It was the taste and fashion of the seventeenth century and beginning of the eighteenth century that sugar sculpture was placed in the centre of the table for decoration at the dessert course, but by the 2nd quarter of the eighteenth century Meissen porcelain replaced the sugar sculpture as a more permanent feature. The dessert service presented in Dresden in 1748 to Sir Charles Hanbury-Williams, the English Ambassador to Dresden, included a large assemblage of figures, animals and rustic models such as stables, farms, cottages and churches of Meissen porcelain.
Item No. 1516